I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, January 15, 2007

Am I becoming that guy?

I've mentioned Tobias Buckell's "Getting Past Being Joe Blow Neopro" before. I highly recommend it (the link goes to the composite MP3, they also offer it in sections). So, I'm listening to it again, trying to light the fire under my rump. I'm also trying to get into the mood for the convention coming up.

In the first part Tobias talks about a certain person in stasis and not being able to move forward. This person has some success and then goes off- track. It hit me then, "Geez, I'm starting to be just like that guy he describes," and not in a good way.

So here is my New Year's resolution (a little late, but what the heck), "pontificate less, ask more, write more, fail better when I can't succeed, get published and get better."

4 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

Is the "conference coming up" Boskone?

Steve Buchheit said...

littlebluebird, unfortunately not. It's Confusion in Troy/Detroit, Michigan. Boskone would be fabulous, but a little out of the guilt-budget this year. I'm saving up for World Fantasy in Sarasota Springs in the fall. I've heard good things about Confusion, so I'm going to see it for myself. Plus, hopefully I can have a meal and drink with Tobias Buckell, and get John Scalzi to autograph my copy of The Android's Dream.

Camille Alexa said...

Cool! Hope you'll blog us all about it when you get back.

Steve Buchheit said...

littlebluebird, I'll do my best. I'm still debating if I want to take my laptop with me. Maybe I should so I can blog about it while I'm there.