I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Boskone Envy

Littlebirdblue is at Boskone, along with many other people I know. Sigh. Boston, books, good people, I miss it without ever being there.

Anyway, LBB posted a blog question thingie. Here's my answers.

How important is literary genre classification to you when you
a) buy books
The vast majority of my book purchases are within the SFF genres. Although, this hasn't always been the case. Nor is it the case for books I get as gifts.

b) read books
Not all that important. Thank the Gods for libraries.
c) think of getting published
Most definitely, although this latest idea, I just don't know where it will fit.
d) identify with a story's characters
Not a big concern.
e) identify with other readers
Boy, howdy.

How do you feel when you hear others denigrating a particular genre?
I just shake my head, and discount much of any advice they may give. Unless it's being done tongue-in-cheek.

How much of your own personality do you think is wrapped up in/reflected by what you read?
Not much at all. Although, it does color my reading, I can't help that.

Do you think genre classifications are useful? How? How not?
They are helpful, like uber-reviews. They let you know the basic parameters of the story.

What do you think promotes genre snobbery within the ranks of readers/writers/publishers/agents? Are you guilty? Why?
I think it comes form the need to be better. A deep desire that fully was explored in another blog comment thread. It basically comes down to prejudice, fueled by common misperceptions and the effect of pundits and critics. There's a great part of the Monthly Ansible by Mr. Langford, entitled "How Others See Us." Same stupidity pervades all genres. I've occationally been guilty in the past, but as I've been writing I've been much more open to other genres and to the great creative thrust.

Of course, then there's the Republican Right Wignut Press (I don't think this is an actual genre, yet), about which the less said the better.

Those are my answers. What are yours?

2 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

Hey, Steve,

Here I am, several books richer (several dollars poorer).

My answers to the blogvey (on which you have an exclusive--I don't usually answer the buggers meself, y'know...)

How important is literary genre classification to you when you
a) buy books

I was going to say not so important because I tend to buy NEW to support certain authors, but when I think about it, those authors are almost without exception sf/f, so...

b) read books
I'm w/ you, Steve

c) think of getting published
Oddly, and unexpectedly to myself, a lot. Why? Not sure.

d) identify with a story's characters
I specifically thought of this because I've recently read a few books with obnoxious twenty-something sorority-chick heroines in fantastical scenarios (s-f, paranormal, YA). I'm assuming this was some weird rash of post-Buffy emulation (I'm not really a Buffy gal)? I was the only girl I knew reading s-f when I was a kid, and w/good writing, I had no trouble identifying w/boy characters or adult characters or aliens or rabbits (thanks, Richard Adams), but there was a kind of implied assumption teenaged-boy audience in certain (very highly regarded) old-school authors that turned me off even then. Still does.

e) identify with other readers
I have one not-word word; Con



Thanks for taking the time for your thoughtful responses. It means a lot to me.

Steve Buchheit said...

An exclusive. A storybones first! Yehaw!

Thanks littlebirdblue. Yep, Cons are great. I only discovered them recently. I did work two cons when I was in college (both mostly comic based) and wasn't all that impressed. But after MarCon (not all that good of a con, but I had a great time) and Confluence (very great times) and then Confusion (excellent time) I'm hooked. I was planning to go to WisCon, but that is in quesiton right now. I may go to Eerie Con to meet Steven Brust (a fav author, damn I wish I could write like he does) instead, but I'm definately going back to Confluence and possible World Fantasy in NY.