I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Danger Zone

While at the Library I picked up, Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury; a very dangerous move on my part. I love Ray's work. In critiques my work has been compared to his earlier stuff and I've received recommendations to read his stuff. I have, believe me. After writing a senior thesis (college) on Clarke (The Masks of God in the works of Arthur C. Clarke), I started reading Bradbury. I love his stuff. Much of my "Windswept, Ohio" (a series of stories) work borrows some parts of his voice, especially from his Green County stories. This book poses a high possibility of contaminating my own writing. We'll find out how strong my own author's voice is at the end of it.

4 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

Enter the danger zone. It'll make you stronger.

Steve Buchheit said...

That's what I'm hoping. I bought a reprint of the October Country a few years ago and I seemed to suffer no ill effects. :)

Anonymous said...

I SO much enjoy Ray Bradbury's writing over other authors such as Stephen King. Bradbury speaks to me like none other.

I met him a few years ago at a Writers Day Conference...I was covering the story for the local paper here. He's fantastic.

pamalu2@aol.com

Steve Buchheit said...

pamalu2, he's a cool person. I wanted to meet him at some events he was at. Unfortunately for me he was besieged by hundreds of people (each time) and I didn't want to hack through the swarm around him just to say hi. If I was alone and could wait, that would have been one thing. But each time I was with other people who wanted to go.