I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Hoist Sail, Clear the Anchor

I've read Robert's Thunder six times today. Enough. It's off to submission for Hot Antho! We'll see if Capts VanderMeer and VanderMeer like it.

I'm torn on it. It's not my best story, at least to me. I've been wrong about my own work before. And as has been said in many a forum and con panel, "Don't prejudge the market. Submit and let the editor accept of reject. That's what they get paid for."

I think the language I used was too plain. It was too straight forward. The ending was quick.

And I just noticed a typo in the cover email. Arr, matey, tis too late. Me ship is sunk. Damn.

Well, we'll see (fingers crossed).

4 comments:

Todd Wheeler said...

Congrats on getting it done and out the door. It they're not smart enough to pick your story, there are plenty of other venues.

Can you imagine how many other 'zines will get pirate stories next month? ;-)

Steve Buchheit said...

Yup. I expect there's going to be a lot of pirate stories floating around in the slush for the next few years. It might even get into some submission guidelines about stories the magazine doesn't want to see.

The VanderMeers (which, BTW, Ann is now editor at Weird Tales, a market I submit to regularly) posted a little thing about getting back to people quickly, and that the submittor shouldn't take it badly. So I'm hoping to hear something back quickly. If they don't take it, John Joseph Adams is reading for a pirate issue of Subterranean. That's where it would go next.

Steve Buchheit said...

Dang. Where the heck is my head. That should be John Joseph Adams is reading for a pirate issue of Shimmer. Sigh. I'm discombobulated.

Camille Alexa said...

there's going to be a lot of pirate stories floating around in the slush for the next few years. It might even get into some submission guidelines about stories the magazine doesn't want to see.

Like those bloody vampires everyone's so sick of (pun intended).