I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, February 19, 2007

I worked in it, but sometimes it was so damn stupid

Second Advertising rant this year.

Okay, advertising execs can be some of the smartest and meanest people you ever want to encounter over a board room table. Seriously. Sharks bow in deference to these people. Lawyers sometimes can't keep up when the bull is spealing out.

But then there are the times that they're dumber than sack full of hammers.

There's a new commercial on TV. I don't even know what it's for because it's so damn annoying, which means the ad FAILS. There's this basketball team, the production values are great, photography, heck man, you ought to be in Hollywood. The music, top notch choice, Mozart's Final (Unfinished) Requim ( in D-, Catalog #626 if memory serves, it is, without a doubt, one of my favorite pieces of music), the Lacrymosa (the rising of the dead for judgement, of which, yes, I just happen to internally squee whenever the St. Martin in the Fields rendition comes on, you may recognize this from the music in the movie "Amadeus"). And then they hack it to pieces to get it to fit the opening and the ending in 30secs!

ARGH! I had to listen to it three times to get that stupid out of my head! It's on the iPod, one of the very few "classical" (actually Romantic) music pieces (In case you're wondering, yes, I am a freak with some music and can replay it in my head, the full thing)

Give me a bat, that ad exec who said (or agreed to) "Let's cut this so we get the dramatic ending" instead of, oh, I don't know, planning the music to end on the right time, and a closed room. Just fifteen minutes. No, claiming the client made you do it doesn't count. You're there to consult the client. I will never buy whatever this commerical is prompting. Heck, I may just never see a basketball game again because of this ad.

No comments: