I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

'Cause I'm a Man

And in other medical news, turns out my testosterone isn't low after all. Second lab puts my numbers right in line. Well, there's one less thing to worry about.

Still need to see the endocrinologist about the insulin thing.

3 comments:

ThatGreenyFlower said...

Wow--and I keep thinking only FEMALES have hormone troubles!!!

Steve Buchheit said...

That's a common misperception. :)

Actually, as I explained it to the nephews, that it only appears that women have "hormone" issues because we can chart the progress over a month and men appear to have steady hormones over that month (there is some fluctuation, but not as much). And that played into the "male psychie." You know, until they did a survery that drew blood several times a day instead of once every other day at the same time. Then it was apparent that men's cycles are shorter lasting on a single day at most (which is why WE are insane and have aggression issues and are *cough* in the morning) (also, don't get me started on actual mating rituals of animals and how they are SO different that what's in the general populace mindset - including cuttlefish that have a preference for males that can masquerade as females instead of the bigger males).

And at home, you have two time-bombs just ticking away to puberty, thatgreenyflower. :)

Steve Buchheit said...

I should say that with my first blood test that was checking for a whole slew of things (including a test for prostate cancer) we included checking the testosterone level. That first test came back low, but the doctor said that his main lab has a tendency to count testosterone low. So we redid the test (good thiing I still had my crib sheet, eh?) through a different lab and my numbers came back in the normal range.