I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Ragamuffin running me ragged

Tobias Buckell is releasing chapters to his new book, Ragamuffin. I have the ARC (thanks, Tobias!). I'm in the middle of it (also reading Magic for Beginners at the same time, along with all the audiobooks at work). So far it's excellent, and given the end of Crystal Rain, I expect Tobias to make this one as good (heck, I haven't even gotten to the scene that's depicted on the cover, which kicks-butt BTW, a scene that I heard Tobias read at last year's Confluence, and the scene is also kicks-butt). My only complaints are I now sort of miss the "Caribbean Speak" from Crystal Rain (although I have a feeling it will come up later). Also, Tobias doesn't fully describe some action and detail, which works for his style of story telling, i.e. fast paced, but sometimes leads to my own confusion. This could also be my reading books when I'm dead tired. But it's been a fun romp so far. Nothing has bumped me out of the action, in fact it's been hard to put down.

So, go read someone who has excellent craft, and some really cool ideas. If you like big SF, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: