I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, June 1, 2007

I read the news today, Oh boy.

It was forty years ago today that Sgt. Pepper taught the world to play. They were going in and out of style, but this is guaranteed to raise a smile. So let me introduce to you, the act you've know for forty years, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I'm one year, one month, and a few days older than the record that changed the world. While I personally like Abbey Road better, Sgt. Pepper is still a good romp and nothing to sneeze at.

"I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in and stops my mind from wondering."

I have to give a shout out to my brother who is a big Beatles fan. I learned to sing by listening to the Beatles. And I've had my mind blown by the Beatles more times than I can count. And I still go.

"We were talking - about the love that's gone so cold and the people,
Who gain the world and lose their soul.
They don't know. They can't see. Are you one of them?
When you see beyond yourself then you may find,
peace of mind, is waiting there."

Yeah, I want to see Brittany Spears come up with that. That lovely Rita, meter maid.

Picture yourself on a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies. Somebody calls you and you answer quite slowly the girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

2 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

Sgt. Pepper's was my first album, and the first I knew by heart. And it sounds like science fiction, too.

Steve Buchheit said...

True, as a total album it does sound like SF, but in my mind "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Because" sound much more Science Fictiony. My wife bought be a CD (I had the MP3s from the vinyl, like since before MP3s became the rage, and I've re-ripped them from a library CD later at a higher bit-rate).