I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Overheard (read) Words

I've been reading a lot of different material lately, including religious, philosophical, and military blogs and websites. It was on the later that I spotted a phrase that I had heard before, but never catalog and categorized. When I came across it today, I started laughing, recognizing something I had heard before, knew, and now had a reason to remember. Yeah, the weirdest things will make me laugh. When you decide to write, you start doing such things, watching how people speak, their specific words and how they put them together. The tempo and magic phrasing, the missed jokes, the banalities, all of it. Good dialog is a joy to hear and read. So here it is, a phrase that could immediately categorize the character, Semper Gumby, always felixible/bendy. Category: Marine jargon/speach, someone with a sense of humor, definately used within the community and not outside.

"Semper Gumby?" my commander queried.

"Yes, sir. It beats being Pokey," I said.

"You bet you ass."

"I was hoping my ass didn't figure into this, sir."

No comments: