I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, June 22, 2007

Pirate Story, Now Less Piratey

So, for general consumption I think I need to reduce the piratical nature of Robert's Thunder before I send her out again. I can't change the basic structure of the story (which is piracy and includes a "Letter of Marq"), at least wihtout a major rewrite, but there are things I added to bump up the Piratey nature of the story. These include things like repeating the word "Pirate," the name of the planet (St. Kitts), use of the title "Governor" for the executive administrator, and a few odd and sundry word usage choices that have perfectly good alternatives (in fact ones that may work better without forcing the piratical nature of the story). So a quick wash and I'll send it out again. Which then brings up the question of markets.

Also, before Sunday (writers group, yeah!) I need to read a novel segment and another short story for critique and meet friends on Saturday. So my guess is that this wash won't happen until next week. Unless the gods bless us with several extra hours of time.

3 comments:

ThatGreenyFlower said...

Of course I have no idea what you're talking about, but I wanted to pay you a visit and thank you for your kind comments. Does your wife have Hashimoto's, too? Or Grave's disease gone mad? How is she? Is she fat and bald? I'm on a need-to-know basis, you know...

The ear tubes are miraculous things. I trust your hearing is the better for them. I know Hell Boy's is. I can't believe the ooze that's coming out his ears, though. Urk. D'you think his brain is liquefying and draining out? Can that even happen?

I am in a little bit of a paranoid spell at the moment, in case you hadn't already started to wonder. The ozone level is high, which always makes me a bit squirrely.

At any rate, I happen to like pirates. The more "AARGH" the better, IMHO.

Thanks again for coming by.

Camille Alexa said...

GreenyFlower,
You crack me up.

Steve Buchheit said...

Greenyflower, well, my pirates don't arr as much as they probably should. Think more corporate raiders with guns and tanks instead of private capital, oh, in space.