I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, June 11, 2007

Wordpress.com

So you all know, I've been toying with transferring this blog to wordpress.com. In another post about Blogger weirdness, Jim comments and also recommends going to my own or to wordpress.com. I'm still considering getting my own URL and publishing it there. Blogger gets buggy from time to time. I really dislike the antispam schemes (which mostly consists of word verification, which sometimes doesn't work). And I also don't like that people who don't have a blogger account have difficulty posting comments with their name and contact info. Also, wordpress offers more comprehensive tracking.

I do like the ease of blogger. using it, getting up and running is very simple and easy. I don't feel like I have to babysit the site.

So, right now I'm 50/50 on switching. And if I switch I'm 60/40 for wordpress.com or rolling my own. One of my friends offers site hosting, and it's a good deal. Unfortunately I'm a notorious cheapskate. On the plus side, if I make everybody move, and change their links, I would rather only put you all through that once.

So, just those things in the back of my head.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, to add further fuel to the fire, WP is even easier to set up than Blogger, in my opinion. WP.com does all the work for you, and self-hosted WP installations are super-easy to set up, though the configuration takes a few minutes to run through. I've used several different blogging engines, and I won't use anything other than WP now. :)

Steve Buchheit said...

Jim, Yeah, I have a site on wordpress right now (storybones.wordpress.com). I'm going through some of the variations of customization, etc. It just seems like I need to learn wordpress' lexicon and I'll be cooking with gas. Transfer was simpicity itself (although I'll probably do it again). right now I'm looking at cross posting for a bit.

Yeah, Dan (he's the guy that offers hosting) is giving me a good deal to do it on his servers, and he's set up Wordpress more times than he can count, so I have no fear of having it run there. I'm just cheap. I wasn't always, but I am now. If I wasn't getting raked over the coals for local access from home (and for no good reason, except there's only one option for my little village - yes, I'm working on that as a councilman, if I had more time in the day it would be in the can by now) I'd have made the jump. But my budget is already full for internet stuff (access, emails, hosting, etc).

If I cut out my .mac address I could swing it. That, however, would be a major shift and would require getting my wife on board with the change (which would be difficult). The problem of having a semi-successful like online. I mean, if it was just me, no problem. But the thought of getting everybody I know to change their address books and links. That's the major stumbling block.

BTW, Jim. When I first did this post, I forgot to mention your comment. I updated the article in case you didn't see it. I did find wordpress.com last month, but it was after all the bugginess last week that I opened an account with them.

Camille Alexa said...

Jim,

I looked at Wordpress (the other day, after reading your comment of Steve's previous blog). I found it overwhelming. Are you sure you're not pre-supposing a certain degree of computer literacy (which Steve DOES have, of course) when you claim Wordpress is easier to use than Blogger?

Camille Alexa said...

And yes, I'm publicly exposing myself as computerly challenged.