I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

(My Manuscript) Will Be Home for Xmas

Just got an email from Jude-Marie Green, Associate Editor over at Abyss & Apex regarding The Running of the Deer. She said "it was well received... but... decided not to accept it for publication." Fair cop, and the rejection letter doesn't really sound like a form (I think this is the first time I've submitted to Abyss & Apex, although I drank their hooch at World Fantasy) so pluses all around. I did send her a thank you email (still shaky on those). So now I have more market research to do.

Edit I'm liking the e-submission process, Running of the Deer is off to Electric Velocipede.

Edit redux Journey Haiku is off to Space and Time Magazine.

8 comments:

Matt Mitchell said...

Yes, email subs rule. I won't say that I sub exclusively by email now, because book subs still have to go through post, but every sub I've done this year has been via the "e."

Steve Buchheit said...

Absolutely, Matt. Last night I was thinking, "Hey, I could send this here... oh wait, snail mail. Hmm, oh, look Electric Velocipede takes e-subs."

Actually, after submitting to EV, I noticed that for some strange coincidences I've never sent RotD to Weird Tales. This caused me no measure of consternation. I'd like to have EV publish it, but then I've always wanted to have my bio say, "His first story, published in Weird Tales, just like all his idols..." So I'd be jazzed if EV publishes it, seirously, because EV is an excellent market. But there's a little part of me that thinking, "I wonder if Ann would have bought this?" It's in the hands of the universe (or at least the editors at EV) now.

ThatGreenyFlower said...

Good for you, Steve! I'm so proud of you. The audience is out there, I know it.

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks, Greeny. I keep trying to find them.

Matt Mitchell said...

Yeah, isn't it weird (pun intended)... I feel the same way about Weird Tales, even though it isn't an SFWA market, it just seems like the cool place to get a publishing credit. I like how they've reworked their website, too; maybe one day they'll up their pay rates to prof level. Still, I'll keep trying until I get one in; so far I have roughly 5 rejections from them, although the last two had encouraging comments.

But hey, any credit is a good credit as far as I'm concerned, and I'm like you, if EV takes it, I'd sail on with it with pride.

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks, Matt. It's just something I've always thought that would look good in the bios for the Year's Best anthos, "Steve Buchheit, whose first professional sale was to Weird Tales..." Just like Lovecraft, Bradbury, Tennessee Williams, Carter, Burroughs, all the biggies.

Now if EV does buy RotD I'm not going to say no. EV is nothing to sneeze at. I would be proud of that sale.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a sucker for tradition (now I'm running that song form Fiddler on the Roof through my head).

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Yes, it was a form as such, but the most encouraging form. Please do send us more!

Jude-Marie Green

Steve Buchheit said...

Jude-Marie, thanks for stopping by. I most certainly will be sending you more.