I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Xmas Music

A number of bloggers seem to be posting their favorite Xmas Songs, and seeing that I just de-archived my extensive collection of off beat songs I thought I would share some of my most favorite ones. Edited to add links and correct spelling.

Susan Werner, "Thy People Are Good Enough" - this is a radio rip (I don't think it's out there on one of her CDs) of her performing a Rudyard Kiplings Poem. Excellent

Mary Gauthier, "Christmas in Paradise" - "Davey stole a Christmas Tree from Kmart last night..." what an excellent start to a song.

John McCutchen, "Christmas in the Trenches" - Christmas on the front line in WWI, during an undeclared truce.

Tish Hinjosa, "Arbolito" - talking to trees, doesn't get much better than this.

Peter Mayer, "Birthday Party" - the Buddha and the Prophet go to wish Christ a happy b-day. Peace on Earth.

Mary Chapin Carpenter, "Bells Are Ringing" - hard to find, but worth it.

And a few others from "Coventry Carol" to "O' Emmanuel" in English and Latin, an acoustical guitar take on Linus and Lucy, Mary's Lulliby (I forget who was the artist, but it's an excellent recording), some Juggernaught Jug Band, and Pat Donahue's "Christmas Blues."

There ain't no Mariah Carey or any other fluff to be found here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi -- I'm a big Susan Werner fan, and just found your blog through a Google alert I have set for her name. Would it be possible to get a copy of the song you mentioned? It isn't on any of her CDs (I've got 'em all! :O)

Steve Buchheit said...

Tracy, I commented on your blog (muck and misery and marvel) about this. I didn't know if you were still monitoring this post or not.