I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Call of Chaucer

All around hoopy frood Todd Wheeler has come up with an interesting concept, the Writer RPG, complete with skill levels and experience points.

Now, I do have a disagreement with some points (if you're writing, you're a writer, do you need external validation? Neo-pro and Pro have definitions that aren't related to word count, etc) but over all I think it's a fun idea. Of course, I'm on the look out for Bracers AC0 against Editorial Rejection, and I think he also needs to develop a Saving Throw table (roll d20 against your Wit to stave off a relative who thinks you're engaging in "Mental Masturbation"). There also needs to be magical items, a +3 Word Processor Spell Checker for instance (it can tell you the word your really meant to put there, not just spell check the homophone you typed). Or maybe a Magical Scroll Contract with +5 Exposure and full resale rights. There could also be Cursed Items, such a Publish America Iron-Clad Contract, -5 on Querying Agents and Publishers.

Ha ha, yes, my vorpal sword does snicker and snack, thank you very much.

He's also looking for a good name for it. The title of this post is my suggestion. What's yours?

5 comments:

Ken McConnell said...

Not being much of a gamer, I would find this idea more useful as a way to keep track of my progress as a writer and use the points to compare myself to others.

Actually, I see it being sort of mentioned in passing in writer circles. "Oh, I got a few more hundred points this week when I sold to Analog." Instead of a few thousand words.

Reminds me of when I was a kid, we used to refer to pedestrians as point value targets. "Old lady that's a hundred points."

Steve Buchheit said...

Old Lady, and we take the groceries, 300 points. Double bonus if her dog passes over the car without touching the roof.

Hmm, wouldn't know that game at all. :)

Todd Wheeler said...

Thanks for the mention Steve!

I'm going with 'Call of Chaucer'.

Yeah, the status levels are more fun than descriptive. Although, I think I calculated neo-pro at about what would be achieved by 5K word story written and accepted.

Steve Buchheit said...

Todd, no worries. I think it's a cool idea. You might also, say, want to share that excel macro, you know, for us techno geek wannabees.

Matt Mitchell said...

This is a fun idea. I commented a bit on Todd's blog with some random thoughts on it...