I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, January 18, 2008

Catching Up with Backlog - Links!

First off, semi-frequent commenter and Dangerous Dad Dan sends this link about using a robot as a catapult (actually a trebuchet). With flaming bowling balls no less. Lots of photos and videos.

Fellow Dilettante Level Writer Todd Wheeler is having another contest. I won last time and I can tell you Todd gives great prizes. I'm using my book-light every night. All you have to do is enter to win. How much easier can he make it?

Jeff VanderMeer is talking about the process of novel writing. I haven't made it all the way through (it's a bigg'un), but so far it's a very good read. With his description of his progress early in his career, I'm not feeling so inadequate anymore (spending six-months on a short-story, yep, that's about right).

Forgot to mention here that all around hoopy frood Tobias Buckell's latest novel, Ragamuffin, is getting the attention it deserves with a nomination for a Nebula.

And lots of my cool friends are on panels on Confusion. This weekend should be a blast. (FWIW, I'm still over 217 posts I haven't read, and I've been skipping a lot).

5 comments:

Todd Wheeler said...

Bowling balls - yes! Flaming bowling balls - heck yes!! Full cans of beer? That's just wrong.

Thanks for the link!

Nathan said...

Drink the beer while flinging flaming bowling balls. That's the way it should be done.

I'll check out Todd's contest. I won one of them and got a couple of really good stories out of the deal. :-)

BTW, Todd. Apologies that your book isn't on the way yet. I'll get on that today.

Camille Alexa said...

Linkorama. You're like the little engine that could, Steve, chugging through all those crazy posts.

Nathan said...

Steve,

I forget which relative is studying to be a screenwriter, and I know I suggested Ken Levine's blog as a resource. Today's post is a must-read for him.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/

Steve Buchheit said...

Todd, well, sometime you need to make sacrifices for the advancement of science. But, yeah, why use the beer that way (unless it was really bad beer).

Nathan, that was my nephew. Thanks again, BTW.

Camille, it a linkorama diorama.