I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Book Meme

Well, before I came down with the Gold Medal Contender of a running nose and icky sicky feelings, GreenyFlower tagged me for a book meme.

Da Rules:
1. Grab the nearest book (that is at least 123 pages long).
2. Open to p. 123.
3. Go down to the 5th sentence.
4. Type in the following 3 sentences.
5. Tag five people.

When she tagged me, the nearest book that qualified was a clip art catalog, so I'm going to adjust the first rule and grab the nearest book from my side of the bed, which is where I've been reading lately. The nearest book was a tie for M is for Magic by Neil Gaiman and The Skewed Throne by Joshua Palmatier. Since Neil gets enough press by simply shopping for socks, tie breaker goes to Joshua.

Mari was grey, and smelled nothing but sweat and the Dredge.

She finished with the carrot monger and began moving away.

I hesitated, chewed on my lower lip a moment more, then followed.


There it is. I'm going to let people self select for rule #5. Have fun.

5 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

Hi! I've seen this tag a thousand (hyperbolized) times and never responded (to my recollection, which ain't what it used to be).

The Annotated Alice (The Definitive Edition), introduction and notes by Martin Gardner, original illustrations by John Tenniel

"The Knave shook his head sadly. "Do I look like it?" he said. (Which he certainly did not, being made entirely of cardboard.)"

OR, if I choose instead Gardner's accompanying text side by side to the original story, I'd have to relate the following single sentence:
"A statement that is a measure of her increasing confidence," comments Selwin Goodacre (Jabberwocky, Spring 1982), "because we know she hasn't a coin in her pocket--she told the Dodo she only had the thimble."

Steve Buchheit said...

Ooo, Alice. And this sounds like it's from the "Through the Looking Glass" story.

Todd Wheeler said...

Cheating all kinds of ways on this meme, from the January '08 issue of Wired and the interview of Radiohead's Thom Yorke by David Byrne:

"But at the moment we make money principally from touring.

Which is hard for me to reconcile because I don't like all the energy consumption, the travel.

It's an ecological disaster, traveling, touring."

ThatGreenyFlower said...

Thank you, Steve! And Birdie too! And Todd, now I have to go out and get Wired --huge Radiohead fan, here.

Anonymous said...

Greeny Bobeeny!