I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, February 29, 2008

I'll Be Hearing You

While killing a few moments before an oil change I popped into a library I've used very often (not my local library, BTW). The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror, vol 20 was listed as "lost." Bummer. But then I started looking through the audio books and found Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (okay, under "Blade Runner" but I know it) by P.K. Dick, Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut, and Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill all on CDs (unabridged, all of them, I hate abridged audio books). I've read the first two way back in college and enjoyed them both. I still use the word "kipple" sometimes (that's actually what you'd see if you came over to my house unannounced, btw). Actually read Monkey House for a literature course. And I have Joe Hill's book just waiting to be read (loved 20th Century Ghosts, whomever is responsible for having that book in the World Fantasy book bag, thank you very much).

As a bonus, they had a new Sinatra compilation CD, Romance, Songs from the Heart.

Score!

2 comments:

mattw said...

For over a year now, I've been listening to books in the car during my commute. It's a great way to kill time while driving. I listened to Heart Shaped Box a couple months ago; it got pretty creepy at times.

Steve Buchheit said...

I love the audiobooks. I really like the ones that I've read the book itself, and want to "re-read" it. I've found "trying out" authors with audiobooks not as good (as the audio is both the text and performance, both of which need to be good - there are plenty of good books I've read that I couldn't stand the audiobook version).

And I love that I can listen to them at work. Sure, I sometimes tune them out when I really need to concentrate, but then there's always the "replay" button.