I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Here a Plot, Twist a Plot, Everywhere a Plot, Plot

Joshua Palmatier is telling tales out of school, again. This time he's running through the Plot Synopsis (which, if you're going to write novels, you're going to need to know). Joshua has also wrestled a whole pascel of other writers to the ground and gave them nuggies until they also gave up the goods on their synopsis.

Really, Joshua is doing good work (and is also an excellent writer and all around good guy to boot) here. I'm glad to know him, Tobias, and a handful of other writers who also spill the beans, I mean, are willing to show the process.

2 comments:

William Jones said...

I agree with you. It is good to find writers who are willing to talk about writing. Everyone has his or her own approach, but it is helpful sometimes to see other approaches.

Steve Buchheit said...

William, it most certainly is. I find I can always learn from listening or reading the process of others, even if their approach doesn't work for me. A common theme I've been hearing about lately is what happens slightly more than halfway through a book, where the author begins to feel that everything they're typing is crap.