I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Then, Father Christmas, I became an aeronautic vigilante

When I have the big "D," one of my symptoms is that I don't feel the energy to make large "voluntary" purchases. I just don't want to spend money. Small things, like a few bucks, sure. But really anything over $25 becomes suspect. If there's not a dire need for it, say like my life depends on making the purchase, my mind shuts down and just says, "No!" So part of breaking the cycle is to force myself into making those expenditures.

To whit, we are going to see Jeff Dunham at the Stambaugh Auditorium at the end of the month. At $43 per ticket, even for the later show and up in the third tier, that's ridiculously expensive for me. But he's a funny guy (even if I disagree with his politics).

I purchased a new laptop battery. After getting about 45 minutes out it, it quickly reverted to 15 minutes. For a 5.5 year old laptop, it's time for a new battery. Having a laptop that you need to have plugged-in all the time isn't fun at all. At $130 for something that isn't necessary to life and limb, that was a struggle (even if I've needed it for a few months). I have a high tolerance for annoyance.

And a few weeks ago (another one of this moments that I realized that I was falling into big "D" when I considered it) I purchased a VCR/DVD-R combo unit. This is one of those that allows you to record to DVD from the VCR (and the other way as well). I have a ton of recorded tapes (some from the early 90s, like the one where the headline quote is paraphrased from). The hope is to reclaim storage space (and stop tape rot).

This weekend I plan to go to a pancake breakfast. It's that time of year when crazy people poke holes in trees so that they can spend several hours in a hot and steamy sugar shack boiling down sap to make the sweetest ambrosia known, Maple Syrup. Sure, there are other syrups, but I've got a hankering for Maple. And other than waffles, pancakes are the bestest with maple syrup.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! See this... Jeff Dunham video

Steve Buchheit said...

Achmed the Dead Terrorist is one of my favorite sketches. "I kill you!" And it works well into his running gag about going through airports with dolls in suitcases. Although I really like Peanut and Walter. Thanks for commenting Aravind. Also, I own the DVD this was ripped from. I think his inclusion of having the dolls talk to each other and have a life of their own (which started with Peanut and Jose Jalepeno - on a stick) is pretty good.