I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

International Pixel-stained Technopeasant and Juvenalia Shake Hands

In honor of the Second Annual Pixel-stained Technopeasant Day, and the immense fun I had hearing others' Juvenalia readings, I offer my own entry. Storming Heaven was the first short story I wrote that I felt was ready for publication. It's been sitting in the trunk for years now. I still like it, although I don't write like this anymore. Well, I hope I don't write like this anymore.

As an explanation, this story is a direct result of working in West (by God) Virginia for almost six months. My work there was for a family owned business, and our money maker clients were all Gospel/Christian Rock. I have plenty of excellent stories from that time. One of the things that sticks with me was this was my first major contact with people who really are waiting for the world to end and Judgement to come.

BTW, Merrie Haskell has not only posted her IPSTP Day story, she's also made a recent sale that you should go an congratulate her on. You rock, Mer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out, Steve. I'll have to check out your peasantilia. (Hm. Not the best portmanteau on earth.)

Steve Buchheit said...

No worries Mer.