I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Writing Fast to Avoid Rain

I'm sitting outside today, the scent of citronella wafting through the air, somewhat ineffectually, and writing. Due to a prompt from the ever nice Camille, I've rewritten the haiku (and made it standard 5, 7, 5 instead of the reverse 7, 5, 7 it was) and submitted it to Diet Soap (where she is editor). I don't think the rewrite made it as strong, but I figured maybe doing the standard thing might help. Anyway, here's hoping.

I'm also attempting to write hate mail to John Scalzi. See, he's got this contest going to win a new book, and if I'm anything, I'm a sucker for a contest to win books. Oh yes, there is vitriol to go around, literary and art references and disparagements of his parenthood. Good times.

Speaking of contests, all around fab guy Todd Wheeler would like to remind you all that the first deadline of his contest is TODAY! So get on it.

And now the booming in the distance, as well as the reduced light, fat drops of water and increased insect activity are all telling me it's time to go back inside. Hope you all are having fun today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good that you only got fat drops of rain. Before the storm reached you, it dumped a huge amount of grape-sized hail on us! There was so much of it on the streets that it felt like driving over a gravel road. ; - D

It was cheap date day. I took my Steve to the Akron Art Museum (two new exhibits plus another wing of the permanent collection now open) and then on a pontoon boat tour of the Cuyahoga River around Cuyahoga Falls ($10 for both of us!).

Haven't been writing at all this weekend, but I will get back to it next week.

Steve Buchheit said...

Hey Sheila, well, it rained pretty hard here for about two hours. I didn't know Steve was still in town, cool. I thought the whole Akron Museum was open, I guess not. Just like Cleveland they must be rolling out their opening.

ThatGreenyFlower said...

It's lovely and sunny here, but dreadful hot. I'm at work, wearing a fleece jacket to shield me from the over-zealous AC. Clearly I'm not working, but I promise I'm about to start...

Steve Buchheit said...

Greeny, fleece jacket, wow, now that's AC!

Hmm, comfortable, coolish, arctic blast. Let's let it to arctic blast.