I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, July 4, 2008

"I See Fireworks"

Happy Fourth to all those of you in the US. Today is a day of celebration. Sure, there are remembrances, but this day is set aside for celebration. The Fourth is a grand day. Growing up on the East Coast, the Revolution is more alive than it is here in the Midwest, but I still remember my youth.

Today's celebration will be a little smaller. We're having dinner over at the neighbors, where even more neighbors will be over. Tonight we'll light off some sparklers (not into really big fireworks). Tomorrow we'll go to the annual Mespo Festival which is mostly a junk sale, but they (the Mespo Fire Department, which puts this on) sells bar-b-que pork sandwiches with home made sauce. Really excellent. As in, the least time we've spent in line for the sandwiches is 45 minutes. The junk sale covers the entire village green. As a benefit, Mespo is my model for Windswept, Ohio, the place where many of my modern fantasy stories take place.

So, time to clean up (sister-in-law is coming over tomorrow to go to the Mespo thing), put out the flag, and have fun.

On a personal note, I started the medication yesterday. Wednesday was pretty bad for me, and these things take about four weeks to start working. So a couple more days of one pill, then I go to twice daily (as long as I don't have a reaction).

However, today is the Fourth. What the heck are you reading this for, go out and enjoy being free.

4 comments:

Random Michelle K said...

How are the meds going for you? Any change? I see things have been rough, but hopefully the meds will help ameliorate future insanity.

Steve Buchheit said...

Random Michelle K, so far nothing has changed. I was worried on Saturday that I was experiencing insomnia, but that just seemed to be stress over my Mom. Last night I was able to read for about an hour, and then I went right to sleep.

I'm debating starting 2 a day today (Monday). I think I will go to it (Dr. said 4-7 days after starting 1 a day). After that it's about 4 weeks before you're supposed to get the benefit. Hopefully it will happen sooner.

As a friend's email sig used to say, "Yeah, yeah patience. How long is *that* going to take?"

Random Michelle K said...

Well, no side-effects is something. A pleasant if unusual something!

I always tend to feel better immediately after starting meds, because I have finally taken action and done something, and that palpable sense of relief (or knowledge of future relief as the case may be) provides its own bounce.

And when I'm having a particularly bad day, my husband or I will make a joke about me having forgotten to take my medication 30 days ago. :)

Steve Buchheit said...

random michelle k, so far so good. Two days of twice daily. I keep a watch out for things, although I've gone over to hyper vigilant sometimes. Seeing things that probably aren't there. Like thinking "insomnia, drug reaction" instead of "hey, Mom is in the hospital, that's why I can't sleep."