I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

There must be 50 ways to tip young writers

(Grocked from Matt Stagg)

Cat Rambo is spilling the beans on Ten Tips For a New Writer.

I keep trying #2 and getting waylaid by the jobs and life. They're like highway men, waiting to shake me down for extra time and energy as I travel through the dark forest.

#4 is very important. It's a hard lesson to learn. I was fortunate that when I started, the markets I submitted to would take up to eight months to respond. Helped me learn to keep writing real quick.

#5 is something I've been struggling with since I started. I think I did the right thing by downshifting to short stories. I haven't had any published, yet, but I've learned how to tell a story and how to write it.

#6, 8, and 9 are pieces of advice that you must do. Much of writing advice falls into #10, but these three are golden rules.

And these days, #3 is very important. Word-of-mouth kinds of conversation are made 12x easier by these intrumunets.

No comments: