I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Break on through to the other side

We're back to running the air conditioning because it's so hot. Hopefully we can open the windows tonight. You know the day destroys the night. fortunately this morning I got to sleep in as the rooster that I've been hearing for the past month decided to take a break. Night divides the day. It must be in one of the farms down the road. Some mornings it decides that "morning" is 4:30 am. Tried to run. I don't know why. It's still dark then. Tried to hide. And I need at least another hour of sleep.

Busy, busy me. Did some cleaning of things needing cleaning. Chased my pleasure here. Fixed some things that needed fixing. Dug my treasures there. Helped clear out some other things. But I can still recall the time I cried. Caught up on billing. In the processes of catching up on archiving.

Now I want to work on the novel, and I'm hitting a wall. It's that fear wall. Must break on through to the other side.

Rewrote Prince Interview and renamed it Prince Wanted. It's now about 590 words, and much stronger (if I say so myself). It amazes me sometimes how much I've grown as a writer (when I focus on things, unlike this blog where I sometimes dash off an entry and it shows). If I didn't have a poem and short story in to Abyss and Apex I would have submitted it there to give Camille a laugh, so I submitted it to Strange Horizons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same feeling, concerning growth, as a writer. I look at things I used to write and it doesn't even compare to the stuff I've done in recent years. But then that thought always reminds me that I may still have a lot of growing to do...

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern."

Steve Buchheit said...

Matt, for me continual growth is the goal. First it's get published (for money), the published regularly, then asked to submit, then on to awards and experimentation with form. Add into the mix all the types of fiction I like to write, and how fiction changes over time, I'm sure there will be plenty to learn and grow with. The stickler is when I have to go back and relearn lessons I already knew (like passive voice).

Anonymous said...

You are the Lizard King. You can do anything.

Steve Buchheit said...

Todd, Ha! Thanks, that's the best laugh I've had all day, an dI needed one badly. (wish I could blog about most of it, but it's still all up in the air).