I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Diving Back In

After the family obligations of yesterday, I'm back into rewrites. Reread what I had fixed before, cleaned up some confusing bits, and cut some more. I'm back to where I left off before, but the new stats are 3303 words in, 5664 total (cut another 21 words). Realistic goal is to get to the end by tonight. Hopeful goal is to have another polish round of edits tonight.

Here we go.

Edit 7:30pm At the end. 5425 words. 6847 to start with, that means 1423 words cut or roughly 20%. Not bad. Still need to find 425 words to lose. Am going to have dinner and come back at it.

Edit 10:44pm Down to 5116 words. Close enough I think. Plus I got to use the magic words "eldritch," "rugose," "noisome," "squamous," "ichor," and "cyclopean." Behold my mighty Lovecraft-fu. Or something like that.

Time for sleep. My rugose grey-cells are noisomely squamous as I traverse my cyclopean house to deposit ichor somewhere (don't worry, I didn't write the story like that). I want to read through it again, maybe in hard copy, to make sure I didn't miss something (or to find more things I could cut) and then submit tomorrow night.

No comments: