I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Long Weekend Not in the Berkshires

Never did get to the store. Did little stuff around the home all weekend. Cleaned out the laundry room, dismantled the hot air vent on the clothes drier (wasn't planned) and put it back together. The drier works better now. Did another CLR treatment on the washer, washer doesn't work better. Will need to try new pump hose. On the plus side, with having to reconnect drier vent I moved everything in the utility room around (that could be moved) and cleaned up the floor under the appliances. Scrubbed the bathrooms after having waited way too long (LimeAway, oh how I love thee). Wrote about 3000 words that will never see the light of day, the less said about the better. Caught up with the blogs (at least I think, with the dial-up the RSS feeds don't update so well). Found the exact gift I was looking for at a great price, two weeks after I got something close at 3x the cost (sigh). Spent too much time on the intertubienets. And slept. Oh boy howdie, did I sleep.

Last night we had fireworks, the first this village has had since I've been living here. That was a little fun. They couldn't launch them too high (for some reason), and while it was only a block away, the trees obscured most of it, but we could see enough to have fun.

Today I did the councilman thing, on the sly. I set up the sound system for the parade, and then watched said parade. Spent fifteen minutes talking with our Chief of Police. This evening I walked up to the fair and spent too much money on dinner, caught up with a friend I haven't seen for a long time (part-time police, ambulance paramedic, former county emergency management team, etc, and so on, in retirement he's working even more, seems to be a theme in these parts).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very productive weekend!

Anonymous said...

Sleep is by far the best thing you can do for your body.

And catching up on lots of little tasks can be rewarding in its own right.

Bravo for Steve!

Steve Buchheit said...

Well, it was a mostly productive weekend. But the sleep part was best. I've been in to work early for the past two days (go me!). Here's hoping that trend continues.

Now I need to get back to things that are long term in scope. And find (and install or have installed ) the new dishwasher. Today we're having the furnace tuned-up (I check the flame every year and have never noticed any yellow, all blue). I do what to switch out our thermostat (mostly it's the location that sucks, but our current one is one of those bimetal switches, I'd like to get a digital one). There's always things to do.