I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Too cool for school

(via Jay Lake's link salad which you might also want to check his link to What the Duck as well) Oooo, almost a jet pack. Okay, well, he cheats by jumping from a plane and then engaging the jet, and finally "lands" by parachute (instead of taking off and landing by almost VTOL and running a lot). But still cool.

Just imagine (okay, well, it's my imagination, YMMV) using this as a part of a HALO drop? Hell, no air space penetration needed. Drop the package out in international waters and the paratrooper jets in to their target drop zone. Cool. I expect to see this in a future James Bond movie. Really, just too cool not to use. I'm having visions of a whole platoon flying through hostile airspace for deep insertion (forget about the submarine drop).

And I'll bet Tobias just re-imagined the opening chapter to Sly Mongoose (although I don't think this configuration would survive insertion, but a swept wing version might).

No comments: