I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The day is shot

And at various points I wish I was as well.

We're back to a more normal work load at work (which means people are and will be upset that I won't be able to work on their non-billing projects in a speedy fashion). It also means I'm back up over 450 unread blog posts. My lurker-fu powers grow.

Probably not going to get all my research for this weekend done in time. I've been trying to find good references online to review for some of the topics, and it just ain't working so well. Oh google, why do you taunt me so?

Had to say "No" several times in committee meeting tonight. Had an argument over a $100 PO for t-shirts. T-shirts! $100! WTF! (not that the t-shirts are $100s, they're $10 per printed shirt, but that I had to argue about $100) But then came discussions of bigger numbers and projects. When I had to say, "probably not this or next year" I had to remind the person that we just argued about $100 for frickin' t-shirts (and the other money pinching we had to do earlier with a "must have" system). How other municipalities allow themselves to go into the red I just don't understand (I understand how they can, I just don't know how they let themselves get there).

Didn't have time for lunch today (fortunately a vendor brought bagels, felt like a heel taking two), and didn't eat dinner until 9:45pm. Why did I want to do this?

And not getting any writing done. Had a few panic moments this past week about submissions (not having enough, wondering where they are in process, wanting to get a story into WotF contest this year, wondering if the submissions are moldering because of inattention, etc).

At the Doctor's appointment yesterday I was up 1 lb. I blame the "Fall Fest Luncheon" at work on Friday, high calorie low value food which I try to avoid. And Saturday at Mom's ("feed 'em until the pop" is a family motto). Plus didn't evacuate (if you know what I mean) well because of the bad food. That didn't happen until today (thank you very much, stupid intestines).

I plan to take the laptop with me to ConClave and blog about my experience there. So far nobody has volunteered the money for an iTouch, so it's lugging the laptop around (actually, I love my 7-year old laptop).

So, how have you all been?

(::waves at Camille, who I see by the comment emails visited me today::)

Oh, and because I'm thinking about it, the show House? Yeah, doesn't work so well for me. Why? Because as a smart doctor he doesn't know how to use a cane. As someone who has had to walk with one (my broken leg), you do not use the cane on the same side as your bum leg (unless you want more pain and problems). You use it on the opposite side to take the weight off the bum leg. So my suspension of disbelief goes right out the window. I'm very surprised that nobody has pointed this out to the producers and actor.

No comments: