I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, September 22, 2008

... see ya next Fall

Welcome to Autumn. Doesn't seem much different than last week, does it?

This weekend we saw the nephew get married. Good luck Brittany and Josh. Marriage isn't the goal, it's the journey.

Being the non-blood related uncle you'd think it would be a relatively stress free environment, but you'd be wrong. It meant we would have to deal with the father-in-law, which is never fun. Not only is there dealing with the actual event happenings, there's the week to two week build up of anxiety. Not so much for me, my stress is second-hand. Mostly the stress is from Bette and the sister-in-law. He only did one thing, though, so that was good. Although I guess he stared at us through the reception.

The nephew go turned out, though. The music was way too loud (seriously, was in the back of the hall, and we had to shout). Plus, and I mean this with all love to my nephew and niece-in-law, white people can't dance. Making the music louder doesn't help. And when I say "can't dance" I mean "not even getting the chicken dance right."

The ceremony was short and sweet, which was also good. I think the niece-in-law was bouncing only because she was vibrating so much. If it had been longer, there may have been passing-out involved. Not a good thing.

We had planned to come home early (part of the avoiding dad-in-law), but ended up staying to (almost) close the place. And I got to spend way too short of a time with my other nephews and niece (there was only one). One nephew just started college, the other just started grad school, the niece is a senior in HS. Just not enough time to catch up, do general festivities and meet new people. So we got home very late.

On Sunday we had the writers group, which met early. Opps. Didn't have everything read when I went to the meeting. Fortunately, the meeting started slowly (we were at a local park) and I could be anti-social and finish my critique. But then, that also meant that Sunday was a single event day as well.

It was good to get back to work to relax.

No comments: