I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Submission Boomerang

Spent much of my writing time today rewriting Daddy's Little Girl. Went from 2836 words to 2606. Eliminated most of the "was" phrases (there were three I couldn't figure out how to change without changing the story or leaving something important out).

Did a quick Duotrope search and picked Doorways Magazine as the best option to send to. So with the remnant's of Ike battering my trees outside, which in turn are pelting my house with acorns, the story is back out.

Also did some freelance stuff (which we have final approval on, hurrah!). Did a lot of walking around the house. Only did a little work on A History of Lightning which I wanted to finish up today (maybe later tonight).

So right back out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wing-it on out there; may it never come back.

Hope the squirrels are hungry for those acorns.

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks Todd. The main fiction editor is Mort Castell, so I'm shooting for the big prizes again.

And our squirrels eat some acorns, but they really love the oil seed we put out for the birds. Those little rats with bushy tails go nuts for them. We used to collect the acorns for the blue jays, to put out in winter to keep them away from the other feeders. So I'm sure Bette will go out collecting tomorrow (had to sweep them off the drive tonight). Mostly they get eaten by the wild turkeys and the grackles. The grackles come in by the hundreds and move methodically across the floor of the woods, including having advanced scouts and look outs in the trees. And when I say they're methodical, I'm not stretching the truth. It looks like the birdie version of a rescue/search party. They over turn leaves (which is how we know they're going by, they make a racket). Real soon now they'll start coming through about every other week.