I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Writing Linkee-poo

Writing a political rant I'm really trying to not inflict upon you all.

So instead I point you to Reesa posting on Words Words Words about some ruminations on viral marketing techniques. Certainly interesting food for thought. Have to masticate a little on them.

Jim Hines gives some notes to himself which is a good meta argument for us all about writing. It was repeated a few times on ConClave, so I'll do another iteration here. See points 2 and 4 for more clarification, but it's all right to write a sucky first draft (or draft zero as some say). Just get it out so you can fix it later. Also, for me, this year has been an ongoing live example of his point 3. I was prepared to talk about this on ConClave, but wasn't afforded the opportunity, so let me inflict you all with this wisdom. You must carve out time to write, you'll never "find" it. And if you only get out 300 words a week, that's 300 more than no words. It's all okay. The more you write the more you'll find ways to carve out more time (unless your life is completely out of control like mine, that is full time day job, part time night job with lots of stress and responsibility, second job as freelancer, need to spend more time with wife and cat, and then you get to the writing - sometimes these priorities change positions).

Todd Wheeler does it by the numbers. And reaches the inevitable conclusion on the last line (no, I'm not spoiling it here). It's good to know I'm not the only metrics/mathmatics freak in the crowd.

Mer Haskell has another story you should go read. No, really, go read it.

And I'm sure there's more out there that I just haven't gotten to yet.

Got my camera back yesterday, so I want to make a shout out to Assistant Manager Carlos and all the other good people at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Detroit Metro. Thanks for finding it and sending it back home. And just a hint, always a good idea to take a picture of your name tag (because I couldn't remember the color or model number as I drove back home, which is when I realized it was not in the briefcase).

No comments: