I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oh Great Internet Brain

So, any good sites that show connections between world mythologies and fantasy writing? Any good mythology resource sites you know about ? Do you know of an online repository for Katharine Brigg's Encyclopedia of Fairies?

Here's my preliminary list:
Endicott's Journal of Mythic Arts (the archive is still online, and excellent)
Surlalune Fairy Tales
God Checker
Encyclopedia Mythica
Bulfinches Mythology
Andrew Lang's Fairy Tale Books
Cabinet des Fees
Mythic Passage

Also, does anybody remember the Scandinavia Mythic Cycle that Tolkien based the mythology of Middle Earth on? All I can think of (and find quickly, my google-fu sometimes fails me) is Scaldlings? Never mind, I remembered, the Kalevala. How could I forget?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Sacred Texts Archive.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/

It takes a bit to learn how to drive it, but it has some excellent information.

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks Camille. I'll have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

I don't have anything to add to this list, but I like the list :-)