I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, October 5, 2008

You and me Sunday driving

Flew back from Detroit and man my arms are tired. Actually my whole body is tired. I didn't sleep well at this con, and there weren't many breaks. And with all the meeting people and panels I'm suffering from being ON! for too long. Like a live wire going bzzzt bzzt bzzt.

Well, I got a later start from the Con that I thought. First rule of convention going for the writer, 1) If an editor asks you to have a meal/drink/jacuzzi with them, say, "Yes." I almost forgot that rule, but fortunately the voices in my head brought me back and I had a wonderful late lunch/early dinner with William Jones, Deb Jones, Rick Moore, and Jeff Kevin (I think, I'm terribly sucky with names, especially since he bought lunch, thanks again). Had a frickin' good time and enjoyed myself.

But having a late start I drove like a maniac to get back at a reasonable hour (10:15 in case you cared).

Fun seeing all my friends there, but way too tired to list you all right at the moment (because I know I'll forget someone and that would make the end of this month hellish). Met a bunch of new people that we seemed to get along. I actually have homework from the Con (Michelle West wants to know what typeface they set her one book in, so she can request it later, I think it was Stemple Garamond, or it could have been Humanist. I took notes and will look it up tomorrow with my font books). And I think I got roped into being a panelist at another con. What's the reward for good work? More work. :) Thanks, Anne Zanoni, for inviting me.

So, this isn't the roundup post, but I realized I hadn't posted as often as I thought and wanted to say I'm home, safe, and only slightly warped (but you all knew that, didn't you?).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, we're going to torture you anyway, Steve!

Steve Buchheit said...

It's nothing less than I'd expect.

Rick said...

Kevin is going to be so pissed you called him Jeff!!

It was great meeting you, Steve, and we all had a fun time afterwards. I'm looking forward to seeing you again.

Unknown said...

I'm glad to have met you Steve, you're welcome to any Lovecraft panel I'm on in the future. : )

Steve Buchheit said...

Rick, ::wipes brow:: fixed. Thanks. I just suck at remembering people's names. Usually after the third time my mind can lock onto it. Part of the reason why I do my homework before a convention. I can remember people's names better. And I'm glad I didn't bring down the dinner afterward.

Charles, it was also great to meet you. I think I'll need to be in the audience for Lovecraft panels for a while. I still gave to do my homework when I write in his universe, as I tend to get all the Things With Long Names(r) mixed up with who likes which and what they can do. Plus I don't have an all black clothing ensemble, yet. And that seemed to be a prerequisite. At the table there was an encyclopedia of the mythos I found just as I had to run to a panel and I was never able to get back into the dealers' room. I'll have to pick it up at the next one. It would help me, a lot.

William Jones said...

Normally, my name is mistaken for "Jeff." This has been a life long, common mistake. I'm not sure if I "look" like a Jeff, or I "radiate" Jeff. In this case, some of whatever-it-is that causes people to call me Jeff must have affected Kevin. :)

Great work on the panels, and great work on the story.

Steve Buchheit said...

William, I normally am called "Scott," which is my brother's name. And it's strange because even people who don't know my family sometimes call me Scott.

And thanks for the compliments.