I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Crypto Confusion

This weekend is the fun and wonderful Confusion Convention in warm, sunny Detroit. Usually for me, Confusion is like a relaxicon. I sit around, catch up with people, jaw, drink, crack jokes, and in general hob-nob with my fellow wizards. Or something like that.

I can't say how much I like Confusion. I've met a lot of people there (the Kletcha Klutch, senior editors, very cool authors, fans of all types), and had interesting experiences (like having a drink with Patrick Nielsen Hayden, he's such a presence light bends around him, but in a good way, Jim Frenkel who is no slouch either and is a raconteur par excellence, Paul Melko who has coolness down to an art and is wickedly intelligent and witty, and Dave Kletcha who carries himself very well, thank you, not to mention the costumes for the masquerade, one of which included not much more than electrical tape).

This year they're putting me to work. I think I'm on the junior panelist track as I only have two panels. Hopefully they won't make me sit at the short table. But if you're in the mood, in Detroit, and in the convention you can see me spew bull wisdom on the topics of The Short Story (Saturday, Noon) and Big Brother is Watching You! In both cases I'm again out of my weight class. For the exploration of the short story I'll share the table with Jim Hines as moderator, Cat Rambo, William Jones, and Merrie Haskell. Yeah, feel up to that, punk? But that's not the end of it, for the Big Brother panel I'm on with Karl Schroeder as moderator, Cory Doctorow, David Rozian, and Catherine Shaffer. Sometimes you need to jump into the deep end and see if you sink. I just hope I don't stumble and face plant as I sit down at the table or end up giggling like a maniac. Both of these will take some research and I'll have notes, just need to remember to pack them this time.

So say hi if you're there. I don't bite. Not hard anyway. John Scalzi will also be around as a fan this year (and if you've never had a chance to talk with him in person you're missing an experience). Dr. Phil will also be there so I get to meet him in person. This is a very accessible convention, most especially if you check out the bar and walk around. Don't be shy, just say hi to people. They're all friendly.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're still way ahead of me, I'm only on one panel. :)

Janiece said...

Good luck, Steve. :-)

Jim C. Hines said...

Should be a fun weekend. See you in a few days!

Anonymous said...

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Dr. Phil says he's "sick" and is giving me his ticket.

I expect you to back me on this at the registration table.

Cassie (via Jim's and John's blogs)

Steve Buchheit said...

Mary Lou, that's inconceivable!

Thanks Janiece. I'll give it my best.

Jim, see ya there. I have a few books for you to sign. Also I'm looking forward to voting on the Princess (one, because I want to win that book, although I also want to vote for Scalzi, shh, don't tell him :)

Camille, thanks. Wish you were closer this way. One of these, hopefully I get out to OryCon or the ones in Seattle. Or the Armadillocon.

Cassie, I won't tell Phil if you don't (although I have a panel with him).

mattw said...

Sounds like a great time. Good luck.