I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What I want to be when I grow up

Considering the weight of that last post (sorry, it was poisoning me, I had to let go) I figured I needed a lighter post.

This isn't it.

Well, no, okay, maybe it is. When I was younger in high school and writing articles for the newspaper which were never published I had this dream of being my generation's Timothy Leary. Or something like that. Someone that would help shape a world for good or bad.

Then I went to college and I realized just what an idiotic idea that was. See, what I really wanted to do was be my generation's Robin Williams. I wanted to make them laugh. Really hard. Pee yourself kinds of laughing. I wanted people to to suddenly remember a line of mine three weeks later and fall down laughing.

So on PBS they have a special called "Make 'em Laugh." It's a six part exploration of comedians and the American comedic form. I highly recommend it. As you may remember, Robert, I did make the argument that studying stand up comedians is great way to learn dialog. It still is a great way. This show won't help you though. However it does do some good deconstruction and explanation.

But, see, what I really want to do is direct.

3 comments:

Rick said...

The desire to direct and the love of all things political! For Christmas, I will buy you your own country. Mind you, it will have to be very, very small.

Steve Buchheit said...

I promise to be a benevolent dictator. You know, as long as I get my way. :)

So are we talking Andorra small, or Sealand small?

Rick said...

I shall build your empire one grain of sand at a time, but with enough vassals, we could be talking significant beachfront property!