I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Go, go Godzilla!

OMGZ! It's the Zombie Apocalypse! It's a Friday the 13th! And it's the release of the new Friday 13th Movie (yawn!)! It's the day before a Saturday Valentine's Day (you you haven't gotten the gift by then, it'll be worse than Xmas eve with all the guys wondering the shelves of the local Walgreens trying to fine the right Whitman Sampler that says they care)! It'll also probably be the day the Legislature votes on the combined economic stimulus bill (so they can have their Presidents Day recess)! And it's also the day the the Unix calendar (which counts seconds) will roll over the number one billion, two hundred and thirty-four million, five-hundred and sixty-seven thousand, eight-hundred and ninty. That's right, 1234567890.

Signs and portents are with us again. (insert dramatic music que here)

Fun lovin' Dad and all around hoopy frood, Dan informs us of this Grand Conjunction Alignment in the computer codes. See, Unix (and it's popular child Linux) counts the seconds from Jan 1, 1970, UTC. Okay, if you want more, here's a wiki.

Well, not exactly the Zombie Apocalypse, more like watching your odometer roll over 100,000 (which, BTW, since odometers are now digital, do we still say "roll-over" like we say the "phone rings" when there's no longer any bell?). But it's still neat none-the-less. And you still get excited when your odometer rolls over, don't you? Come on, you can tell me.

5 comments:

Dan Berlyoung said...

In the linguistic anachronisms vein: dialing the phone.

mattw said...

My digital odometer just recently "rolled over" 80,000 and I totally missed it. :(

Steve Buchheit said...

Well, Dan, we still have a phone you can dial. Oh yes, I remember the days of, "#$%%^ I didn't cycle that number all the way!" Restart.

Matt, what, you don't take pictures when that happens?

Anonymous said...

When my beloved Honda Civic turned over 200,000 I was leaving work and heard "Take the Long Way Home" on the radio.

I took the hint, turned north and went to Mentor Headlands, sat on the breakwall and soaked my feet in Lake Erie for a while. Got back into the car, headed west to Cleveland and finally turned south to Akron.

I arrived home from work about 4 hours late, but it was worth the trip.

I managed over 270K from that Civic before the computer went, and I still miss it.

Steve Buchheit said...

Sheila, I certainly hope my little Honda make it past that mark.