There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Monday, February 23, 2009

Updatery

Okay, first off, for those of you with my cell number, I upgraded my phone and I now get signal most everywhere so it's on most of the time (except work hours, because, you know, we have a memo against that).

Next, I know I haven't been on IM in days. Something about having your hard drive go all smacky can lead to that. Hopefully soon. Many of you helped me get through years of working by myself, and I want to get back on line to repay on that. Plus, you know, I miss both the humorous, insightful, and brain expanding conversations. Not to mention the great technical support and general cultural help.

The Apple tech was out to our site today, the hard drive was toasty. Guy was good to us by actually trying to get it to work. Thanks, dude. However that means a starting from scratch with all the passwords, emails, connections, shortcuts, and wicked functionality to get my work done faster. And getting away from Outlook Web App. OMG, I'll be so happy.

It's going to be a few days (or more) until I can get it all rocking the Casbah again. The one thing I am going to miss from this experience is that I was working in a half cube on Friday and Monday. I had two walls and a corner. Pretty spiffy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that you will be up and running again in a few days. I am forced to use Outlook at the office, and I can't stand it, either!

Do you use DiskWarrior or Drive Genius on a regular basis? That can help a lot! My Steve says that DiskWarrior is the best, it has saved his butt on many occasions (in the middle of design projects, photography projects, etc.)

Steve Buchheit said...

Hey Sheila. Oh yeah, I'm so sorry you have to use Outlook. I'm finally back up and running with gas on Apple's Mail App (because I set myself up when nobody had the time, and I choose the application I like working with).

Unfortunately I also am not in charge of procurement and only have a limited recommendation role. The majority of work is kept on a server with is backup every night, with extra backups over the end (backed up to a tape jukebox). Our local hard drives, though, aren't backed up. As most people in my department don't use email as extensively as I do, or have the range of software, for the majority of people that makes sense.