I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, March 13, 2009

Dear Adobe,

I've never have able to use your automatic updater program. The installation always fails (six times now). However, the main updater program then says that all updates were installed successfully. Your software is broken. Please fix the damn things.

Then maybe we can talk about issues like changing the functionality of Illustrator and InDesign to the point that they are unusable to do the work I want to do. Case in point, in Illustrator when I adjust the path using filters such as Roughen or Bloat or when I use Pathfinder to join objects I want the fucking points for the new path. I want to be able to adjust that peak I just created with the Roughen, or I want to grab the intersection point of the new combined shape. Don't just apply the filter/function and keep the old path. It's really god damn annoying.

Oh, and thanks for changing the functionality of InDesign with CS3 that when I grab a bunch of objects, including the frames of placed graphics, and then resize them together (like to change the size of the elements by a percentage) that you no longer move the placed graphics relative to their frame, but keep them 1) the same percentage of the original placement and 2) in the same place relative to the page. CS2 worked fine. It would adjust the objects relative to their frame. With the new functionality I lose some of the imported graphics because their frame no longer holds the placed graphic in view so I can't even select the image to move it within the frame. This is something I do Every. Single. Fucking. Day. Because you changed that functionality it now takes me longer to do my work, and it makes my job more error prone. Thanks for making my job harder.

Let us not even discuss the silliness of the default RGB color space except to ask, really, just WTF were you thinking?

And to add insult to injury, in a down market, after we're all done cutting out the economic legs of everybody in this business with a race to the bottom, you go and charge nearly full price for an upgrade to CS4, with no price differential with going from CS3 or CS2 or even CS. Hello, giving me no reason to actually upgrade. God knows what else you've changed that will make my job harder.

I think you took advantage of Quark's fumbling and then quickly forgot what made Adobe's business, and applications, better. Because, quite frankly, you're quickly going the way they did. You might want to get on that to change that direction.

No comments: