I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Flash: Rejection!

Andromeda Spaceways sends word that they're going to pass on the Prince Wanted. I'm not sure if it's a form rejection or not. They say that can't use the story at this stage. And then they say they hope to hear more from me. So it doesn't feel like a form (maybe my wishful thinking) but isn't specific to the story either. But, hey, they can't use it. Fair cop.

So now I need to find another funny fantasy fiction market. Back to the old Duotrope.

4 comments:

mattw said...

I submitted to A.S.I.F.M. once and I really liked their submission process. Made it all the way to round three and they decided to pass.

Still haven't gotten around to cutting the scene they recommended I cut. It's on my guilt pile.

Steve Buchheit said...

Matt, I've submitted a few things to them, mostly poems though. I wish I had checked their slush-o-matic tracking page. Unfortunately with all the craziness I didn't get around to it, and they don't have a "history" kind of function. I don't know how far it got.

::wagging a finger at myself:: Bad writer, no cookie.

And I have three stories sitting in the pile with my critique notes all compiled and other notes written out. I just haven't done them.

mattw said...

I've got a humorous story, a true-to-life kind of thing, about 4,000 words that I'm trying to find a market for. Do you know of any place that takes stories like that?

Steve Buchheit said...

Matt, have you tried searching on duotrope, www.duotrope.com/? They have a genre selection for "literary" and "open to all" you could try.

I don't know those markets all that well, but I would look at Zeotrope, All Story, One Story, the various "Quarterlies" and "Reviews" that are published by state universities (mostly). Is Ellory Queen still out there? More markets would be available looking at the specific topic of your story.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a duotrope/ralans for general fiction? I'm sure there has to be (other than the Writer's Market, which last I knew was subscription based).