I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Long day into night

Had errands to run after work trying to find prices on some things that for whatever reason aren't listed on websites or given over the phone. Um, hello, 21st Century calling. And considering the low end quote was around $25, it really wasn't worth it. Ah well.

Then when I came home, since I had time, and it was about to get colder for the next few days, I turned five 2x4x8's into a wood rack. I made a few mistakes, but recovered from them. I only lost one 6" piece. Because I mis-remembered what kind of kreg screws I had, I ended up wasting about a half hour drilling holes. Then I had to scrounge some 2"+ wood screws to make it all come together. Needless to say I spent over an hour longer on it than I planned and was finishing up by the garage light. And then ate dinner after 8. Ah, good times. But it's done.

Now we're off to 1) Watch the season opener for Ghost Hunters, my guilty pleasure (although this looks familiar) and 2) Edit some commercial writing for a client. If all goes well either add in some creative writing, or going to sleep early. I also have to read novels to come up with my recommendations on what I want to critique.

At the day thing, things are strange. Some metrics I can track are looking better. Now it is left to be seen if the powers that be also see it that way. I'm sure they have different metrics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, silly question for you:

Do you enjoy editing for other writers, or do you just do it because you know it needs to be done -- and you're just the guy to do it?

I am actually enjoying editing and helping people make interesting additions to their articles, and I haven't written a thing myself in a couple of weeks. Think I need to have my head examined? ; - D

Steve Buchheit said...

I enjoy doing it in as much as I'm able to help. And editing is a little different than critiquing. While critiquing can involve editing, it's mostly concerned with the overall writing and larger story issues. You look at plot, pacing, if similes work, if the language is uneven, etc. Editing is also more specific with suggestions (critiques can just be, "this part didn't work for me, and I'm not sure how to fix it").

I'll give almost anybody a high level critique as long as I have time. High level critiques can be done in five minutes and are very general. At most they might include a "and this is where I would have stopped reading if I were an editor." And indepth critique takes a lot of time to work out issues, deconstruct and restructure the writing. Mostly the line edit and grammar stuff is marked on the manuscript and not discussed during the actual critique except to say, "I noticed things, they're marked on the manuscript," and then you move on to the big things. For indepth critiques I like to read a piece at least twice. I'll make marks both times. And then when I'm done I'll write up the major points for discussion.

I have thought that maybe I should be an editor. That's really a thankless job (for the most part). And here I'd like to thank all my editors, past, present, and future. You people make me look good. I love you for that. And for beginning writers it is highly suggested to work in some editorial capacity, like slush reading.

Once I got involved in a critiquing workshop (Cajun Sushi Hamsters), my writing has improved exponentially. And only a little of it is for having my stuff critiqued. The majority is from critiquing others, and watching other critique the same manuscripts you read. I've learned a heck of a lot that way.