I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, May 15, 2009

Day of Knives

So today was the critiquing day for my novel, and I was first up. Wee! It went well, there were good comments, and a lot of things came up that will definitely help and it clarified some choices I was making (and will reverse some of the ones I already made). Not really anything big that would derail me. I'm really happy about that. Of course I haven't read the notes, yet. I have two more to give critiques on tomorrow.

Later in the day I worked on the short story, Shadows of Raas Xaafuun. Now I need to go back and reread The Shadow Over Innsmouth to get the timing down. I think the Deep Ones come on the full moon, but there's some niggling thought that it was the new moon. Dang it. And today a kid said, "Dagon akbar" while handing our main character a bundle of khat. I've been going back and forth with "that's so cool" and "that's going to get me into trouble." For right now I'm keeping it. After all, in the Cthulhu universe, there are no gods, only aliens that appear to us as gods. And in some other stories I'm using the mythos as a solid wall to throw the characters' modern religions at to watch them splat. I'm an equal opportunity offender.

I also realized that I haven't put together all that much of the novel since I submitted it to the group. I've written about three more chapters, but there in different stages and I haven't "tied them in officially." And I don't have all the pieces with me (two pieces are on my other USB thumbdrive).

Tonight we played Cranium as a group. Not to tout my own horn here, but Mer and I lead out of the gate, fell behind, recovered and kicked some butt to win the game. Don't ever have us do the humming clues, just a hint. There were also a lot more club cranium clues this time than I remember other times playing this game. So with the win, and the smell of 'smores lingering in the air, it's time for bed.

No comments: