I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Soon to be on the road again

Wrapping up thing in the workshop. Car is packed (except for me and the laptop). Hopefully the drive will be only around six hours long today, as I got up early and couldn't fall back asleep, even though I'm tired.

And then, tomorrow, the day job. Which I haven't talked about too much. As (some of) you know, Bob, my first college major was computer programming (including working in computer labs as a work study program). Then I ran away from that (my choice to leave) and thought I had put myself far from those maddening shores.

(Insert universe's evil laugh here) (or a coyote barking, it sounds the same in my head)

Then came the desktop revolution and while I've done some board work, most of my professional life has been centered around working on and with the computer. Well, that wasn't so bad. Macromedia Director was okay with scripting, because I was being the cool multi-media artists. Then came the Web Revolution, which meant learning HTML. Okay, it's a tagged page description tool, sorta like postscript, so I can handle it. Then was Javascript and Java. That's when the squick factor returned. CSS, Flash, and XML and my discomfort levels went back up. And soon we're to acquire a new tool at work that I feel will involve, not heavy programing, but more deeper and complex scripting.

Other people are haunted by ghosts, I'm haunted by computer programming.

But, I can do it, it pays, and it allows me to do the other things I want to do. Sure, it's bartering with soul-taking stakes, but I think I can do it. I've played that game of chicken before, I think I know when to swerve before we hit the soul-sucking crash.

And, damn it, I just realized why the trickster had been so silent lately. Bastard.

No comments: