Some people wanted to see the rain barrel all together, so here it is (I still haven't had the opportunity to do the drainage project on the older rain barrel). You can see the extra row of bricks, and the dirt backfilled to mostly up the cinder brick base. Also you can see the diverter connected. For this to work right, the black flex-pipe opening needs to be level. With all the rain last week the barrel is full (57 gallons) and the diverter seemed to work correctly. Still more to do there. But I need to wait for when it's a little drier and can empty out the old barrel.
Here is what I did today.It looks like a hole in the ground because that's exactly what it is. This is my rock garden, the construction crap our wonderful developer left for us and claimed they were "landscaping rocks" (which the top layer was, somewhat). Over the past eight years I've eliminated some of it, clearing off the top layer of rocks and leveling out the ground. This year I'm determined to finish it off. Today the sister-in-law came up and she likes to get involved with stuff. We worked on it together. You can see we crossed the halfway mark. We did about as much today as I did on working on it four or five other times this year. I may actually get this done this year.