I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Writerly Linkee-poo

Because you all are getting tired of me ranting, and tonight is probably going to be a stressful political one, some links concerning writing which was what this blog was (supposed to be) all about.

Dear Editor, Help, I can't seem to finish my book. As I wind into the third act this is most timely. :) And while they suggest outlining they also remind you, "It's never carved in stone." Beware the tyrany of the outline. And having just written a small twist in Chapter 20 (not big, but for a second it had me saying, "Wait a sec, it's way to late to throw this into the mix" but I kept it in because my subconscious seems to be doing better planning than my conscious brain). (Grokked from Matt Staggs)

James Van Pelt on forward progress in novel writing. He also quantitatively defines a Lake Unit of writing. (Grokked, of course, from Jay Lake who, like me, has gotten a little screechy monkey about the health care debate and has decided to take a deep breath and let it out slowly, which is a similar decision I made last night when Bette told me I was getting near apoplectic watching C-SPAN)

Ken McConnell has his new novel, Null_Pointer out at the usual places.

And then a little of what to do once you're done (you know, besides the wild nights of debauchery) from Beneath the Cover, The Writing Heart of a Baboon. Which basically says, "Sell the hell out of it." Well, yeah. (Also grokked from Matt Staggs).

2 comments:

Rick said...

Hey, Steve, all kidding aside, we never get tired of listening to what you have to say politically.

But thanks for the cool writing links!

Steve Buchheit said...

Rick, well that's good, because I know there's more in there. But lately I've been getting overworked and screechy monkey and that's not good for anybody.

Plus I try to do the humor and the writing things. Back in the early 90s I wrote a newsletter and kept it going for several years. I eventually did more political segments than slice of life/culture things and the newsletter withered away from it. And after all, this is a writing blog.