I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, September 26, 2009

I'm not you're stepping stone

Chapter 25 is in the bag. It came out a little long at 2308 words. Three things happen, so it's sort of a big one. In the rewrite we might break it up, but I don't think so. Our protag has come to the decision he needs to protag a little more.

He pulled a tub of ointment from out of his bag. "Disrobe," he ordered.

"Shouldn't you at least get one drink in me first?"

"Be a smart-ass in pain tomorrow morning, or be a good student, do what your instructor tells you tonight, and feel better tomorrow."


Here's a question that's been bothering me for a few chapters. If I have a character named "Doraku", how many of you know whom I'm talking about without googling it? (I'm pretty sure one of you does know) It's a historical reference. Don't worry if you don't know, it's not all important to the story, just one of those gifts for people who do know (or who are reading closely).

So the widget is updated. We progress. Things are about to get bloody and come to an end. I think I've shown the bad guys to be sufficiently bad, so it's time for the Good Guys(tm) to start winning. Maybe a set back or two is still in store, but the tide should turn in the third act. They'll take small steps, but it'll lead to bigger things.

No comments: