I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Miracle WIP

Chapter 32 is down at 1386 words, which brings us to 57843 total. Movement happens but there's not a lot of action. Mostly tying up loose ends and exposing other parts happening off screen (they don't need to be on). Adding some tension back into a relationship that might have seen some of it leak out earlier.
"I thought you said you nixed the bastard," Mr. Hernandez boomed as he came in the room. "This shit was supposed to be over."

"Someone must not have gotten the memo," Santana whispered, his eyes staying closed.

"Be glad you're on the table," the Old Man said to him. "And you," he turned on me," I thought I told you to off this character. What the hell is taking you so long?"

It wasn't a real question. The Old Man needed to blow off the head of frustration he had poured himself. His daughter had been rescued, the culprit who had made our lives hell and disrupted business had been iced. And now we suffered too many casualties and his chief of security nearly became fertilizer. It made for a hell of a storm which took almost a half hour to blow itself out.

Moved on to chapter 33 with a few hundred words. Goal for tonight is to get to 500.

Feeling slightly brain dead at the moment. Work day didn't end very well and I'm not doing so well at home. On the plus side tomorrow is casual Friday. Schedules are being discarded by the road to ferment in the dust with the single sneakers and shredded retreads. I feel like I being caught looking in the wrong direction, listening to the wrong music. Thoughts sludge to rancid blossom all while I think I've forgotten something imperative, but don't even know where the thought would have been shelved. Know what I mean?

4 comments:

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

You know, if you get stuck, all your internet buddies could take turns writing paragraphs for your next chapter. Or, if you want, we can switch off on sentences. I'll take sentence four, paragraph thirty seven.

Steve Buchheit said...

Stewart, LOL! Thanks for the offer, though.

Rick said...

Listen, buddy, you better hurry up or even I'm going to catch up to you! New novel is almost up to 17,000 words. And if I finish before you do, you'll never hear the end of it. Imagine the shame. How will you ever show your face in public again?

Wait, you're probably writing and pulling ahead while all I'm doing is posting on a blog. Nice try, damn you. You can't distract me. I'm going back to writing my novel- soon as I drop by Natasha's blog, that is.

Steve Buchheit said...

Rick, as Bugs Bunny once said, "You know, this means war."