I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, November 23, 2009

Random Musings

This morning as I waited for a download I sketched out the end of the book. If my word counts hold, going to 73000 words will take me to Chapter 42, which induced a few moments of gleeful giggling. So I wrote out 34-42 and wrote next to each what I figured each chapter would feature, with one whole chapter devoted to the killing of the magician (chapter before is the fight to get to him). And it works out very well with two chapters of denouement (one to show the over all wrap up, final one for the personal wrap up). The last chapter will probably be the shortest in the book (my guess is less than 1500 words, probably half that), so the two chapters I don't think will be very bad.

The note next to Chapter 42 reads in its entirety (as of this moment) "Chop wood, carry water." I know at least one of you is smiling right now.

And on a writing advice note, I should have started Chapter 34 last night. Starting it today is like pulling hen's teeth. I think this goes with the "end the writing day mid-sentence/mid action/etc." I had been doing that for the past ten or twenty chapters, always getting in at least the first few sentences out before stopping. I found that helped a lot. I know what I want to say, just getting it into a textedit file is meeting much resistance.

Oh, and I've added a widget at the bottom which shows recent quotes. Until I'm able to ward off this recent rabble of spammers I'll be leaving it up there to help me keep track of them. Come this weekend I should have some spare time on my hands.

No comments: