I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Watching TV

Watching Dr. Bill Cosby receiving the Mark Twain Prize on PBS. Damn funny man. I'm sure I've mentioned how I studied stand-up comedians to learn timing and dialog. Bill is a master. He has timing and a drive that are excellent. When he has an audience going he doesn't let them go. You could do worse, if your doing a stage performance, than studying his performances. His style is difficult to translate to the page as his routine requires the technology and the visual of his face.

2 comments:

WendyB_09 said...

One of my favorites, it was nice to see him honored last night.

Many years ago he had a routine about his mother raising a yardstick like samari sword to use on certain behinds that needed swatted. First time I heard that I fell off the sofa lauging...same as my mom!! Mattter of fact, my mother got tired of breaking yardsticks on our respective rumps and upgraded to a bamboo stick that was eventually held together with black electrical tape! HAHAHAHAH!

Steve Buchheit said...

Wendy, there's plenty of routines I remember from him including Noah, Go Carts, Killer Jello, and many more. And the best comedy happens when we recognize ourselves.