I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Work of various kinds

Well, the pay cuts finally caught up with me. I had been thinking about checking the costs of broadband here to the house (cheapest option this past summer was DSL at $45 a month) because we have a few more options now, but that's out while the pay cuts persist.

Yesterday was just a mad house. The morning started good. Well, good for certain values of good. There was a few mistakes made this week (after we had a speech about not making mistakes). There was plenty of blame to go around, fortunately for all involved. In the end it wasn't as bad as I thought, but we have two more hurdles to get past (including the billing justification). Also, it allowed us to change some things back to where I had them, but was forced off the point by the sales people (amazing how seeing it actually printed can change people's minds, and how knowing WTF you're doing helps).

Spent much of today outside putting up decorations. There's now enough things to put up that I can't do it all in one day. Took quite a bit of time to position some of them correctly. Also fried the device I was going to use to make a special effect. Turned them off for the time being. There's plenty of people who've put up their decorations and have the lit already. I'm not sure if I like that. At work we had a discussion about legislating against it, I'm definitely against that. I know some municipalities have laws about when you're supposed to take them down. I'm not sure I'm for that either.

Note to designers of decorations, "they'll just put it together with zip-ties" is not an acceptable construction technique.

And now on to other things of the weekend. Tomorrow is our twelfth wedding anniversary (and 23.5 years together, almost to the day), so my presence might be sparse around these here interwebbies.

4 comments:

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

Congratulations on your 12th. We just had our 25th. Good efforts!

Dr. Phil

Steve Buchheit said...

Thanks, Dr. Phil. And congrats to you too.

WendyB_09 said...

congratulations! You two have fun!

Steve Buchheit said...

WendyB, thanks, so far we have.