I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Year Without a Santa Claus

Is exactly like what half a day of work without the internet is like when your work requires internet connection. Our T1 line was down half the day (and our DSL backup decided to tank as well). No internets, no email, no functionality. My day thing requires my connection with several webservers (todays' work necessitated connection to three different client webservers), remote access login (needed two machines), and various FTP sites (three of them). The other part of the day thing, the design part, was in need of email and two FTP servers.

So all that came to a screeching halt today.

As a side note, I had gotten below 200 blog articles to read lately (since Thanksgiving I've been averaging between 300-400 on a rolling basis). I had been looking forward to getting below 150. Yeah, I'm back up to 300. Sigh.

But, while waiting for it all to come up, before the Other Fun Part of the Day&tm; showed up, I did get some good wordage out, finishing Chapter 36 (slightly north of 2000 words) and starting 37.

However the Other Fun Part of the Day&tm; showed up and sucked my brain, energy, and time, working me over lunch and until 7:20pm tonight. Joy. I can't talk about it too much, but let's just say it approached FUBAR. I really was hoping I wouldn't regain my reputation for taking the impossibly complex and screwed up and making it functional and intelligent. Yeah, really hoping I wouldn't have to do that again (or get the rep that I could do it). Damn it.

So, sorry I couldn't play much today. On another plus side I did realize that I need to schedule that Yellowstone in Winter Vacation sometime soon. Much of Yellowstone is without internets and cell connection. That may be a good thing for me. By noon I was getting a little twitchy without connection. The DB shakes weren't far behind.

No comments: